Did you or your staff arrive at work stressed this morning because you were stuck in traffic for 30 minutes or more? Cycling to work, or promoting your workplace to do so, has been found to have a significant effect on the attention and productivity of a business.
Cycle in groups, and turn up on time!
It’s been known for a cyclist to arrive at work twice as quickly as a car due to traffic holdups, and also saves them an average of £912 per year on driving expenses! Cut down your journey time – It would be silly not to, right?
If you still need convincing further, have a gander at some of these amazing benefits.
How else does cycling to work benefit your workplace and employees?
- Boost fitness – Cycling is an excellent, cheap form of exercise. It’s low-impact, so it’s easier on your joints than running or other high-impact aerobic activities, and builds great stamina and leg muscles!
- Travel costs – Assuming that the average commute to work is 15km, in petrol you’d spend roughly £1.90 per trip, or £3.80 per day. That’s £19 per week, £82.30 per month, and a huge £912 per year! (48weeks; 20 days annual leave)
- Happy Workers – As well as the increased self-esteem and confidence that getting fitter and leaner will give you, simply spending more time outside will cheer you up. This is thanks to the fresh air and sunlight boosting your levels of the feel-good hormone serotonin.
- Live longer – Active body, active mind! Research has found that those who exercise regularly are at a significantly lower risk of developing cardiovascular disease, type II diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity and even cancer.
- Do your bit for the planet – It takes around five percent of the materials and energy used to make a car to manufacture a bike, and cycling produces zero pollution. Bikes are efficient too – you travel around three times as fast as walking for the same amount of energy! Cutting down on all the car emissions of your workplace and gaining all that parking space is a massive step in the right direction!
Cycling to work has become increasingly popular because of this vast array of advantages. If you would like to help encourage your workplace to join the cycling craze, make sure your premises are well equipped for bikes! Tell your boss to head over to Western Industrial Products and browse through their wide range of cycle shelters, bike racks and bike lockers and start creating a better working environment!
Article compiled by: Laura Pay-Savage